Tuesday, February 27, 2024

By Way of Africa?

The date was February 11. It was a Sunday. And an amazing coincidence happened. In truth it was of no life shattering consequences. But it was unusual enough that I took notice.

That day Alrica and I traveled from Quito, Ecuador to Lima, Peru. We took a plane. The two cities aren't that far from one another. So why did we go by way of Africa?

That would be mysterious, right. Well it didn't happen, not in terms of physical location. We were in or above South America the whole time.

But in the car ride to the airport in Quito, our driver turned on a radio station playing American music of the 80s and thereabouts. For example, we experienced a total eclipse of the heart. But we also blessed the rains down in Africa.

When we landed in Lima we took a car ride from the airport. Different car, I promise. But this driver also turned on American radio from the 80s and vicinity. This time I was watching you (with every step you took, every move your mook, every bond you brook.) But guess what, we once again blessed the rains down in Africa!

Twice in one day! In two different countries, neither of which are secret hotbeds of the English language.

It was enough to catch my notice. And I wonder if it could ever go the other way. Could I hear songs about South America while in Africa. Are there any songs whose lyrics include the name South America? Is this a gnawing absence in need of repair? Here is my attempt to address the issue.

I bless the maize in South America.
It could be choclo and it might be mote too.
Some maize is purple, some is white, and some is blue.
Come cook with maize in South America.

Void filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment