Monday, September 4, 2023

Labor Doodle

You probably think I meant to write labradoodle and I desperately need to spell check. But alas, I meant what I wrote and I wrote what I meant. My title is faithful one-hundred percent.

Today is Labor Day. And today when I saw the Google Doodle, it commemorates Labor Day. I first saw it today when I was on the Virtual Desktop for my work. This desktop thinks I am in Maryland and naturally gives me an American version of the browser. I noticed that when you mouse over the doodle, the little box that pops up says “Labor Day.” That got me curious.

So after I finished on the Virtual Desktop, I checked the Google Doodle on my local desktop. Same doodle. Same message when you mouse over it. Why would that be strange? Well, I am in Canada.

Yeah, Erich, but it is Labor Day in Canada too. (That was your line. Now my response.) Yes and no. It is, but they would spell it Labour Day. So I thought that when I mouse over it, it would say Labour Day. But it doesn’t. It says Labor Day. And I am definitely on the Canadian site for Google because it says Canada at the bottom.

See, it says Canada and Labor Day

 

What’s more, if I click the link, it takes me to a search page for “Labor Day” and not for “Labour Day”.

Search Results from clicking on the doodle

 

Maybe it is because my computer is set to American English? But I doubt it. I suspect that was in the coding for the doodle.

Incidentally, most countries do not celebrate Labor Day on the first Monday of September. The majority of countries celebrate it on May 1, International Workers Day. Why don’t we celebrate it then? I guess it’s like not using the metric system. One of those things that separates Americans from their former British overlords. Like spelling Labor without the u.

No comments:

Post a Comment